Sunday, November 9, 2014

*I'm...LOST!!!" -The post that lost its way...

Somehow, this five year old or so post jumped to the front of the queue.  I have no idea how to fix this.

Adapt = Word of the Day.


So read on, if you like.


My mother moved in last September.  We have some serious history between us, but we've been close for more years now than we weren't before.  Living apart, we talked on the phone at least once a day, enjoyed each others' too-short visits, etc.  Now, I'm not a fool.  I knew we'd bump heads if we were living in the same household; we're very different people.  But it's a 50/50 relationship all the way.

I exasperate her/she exhausts me.

It's true, but the the woman is my heroine, too.
She's the first I call when something good happens, or when I'm in a pinch.  She's fair, passionate, very intelligent, and funny to-boot.  She knows how to be a good friend, and "Mother Lion" is never far beneath the surface.  She's battled for my life many times; even when her foe was me.  Oh, and I've learned why people naturally take a shine to her...she actively shows interest in them.  Who knew?

It's going to be a difficult separation for all of us, but she'll be leaving her granddaughter, and if I know her, she can barely let her mind touch on that for even a second.  My girl is just as "goodbye"-phobic as my mom.  It's gonna be a rough ride.

The main reason she has to leave is because of money.  Freakin' money.  It's right up there with religion and politics.  An evil triad it makes, too.

This area is already one of the most expensive places to live in the U.S., which had her nervous during the years she was just talking about moving here.  Now we have almost two dozen new taxes about to kick in, including that 3.8% real estate whopper.  She can get a gorgeous place back home for what might gain her entrance into some so-so place here if she finds a room mate.  There's a job for her "back home," too, which is excellent...I say that a bit resentfully, though.

Until she mentioned it this morning, Mom's been privately flabbergasted over how those who make minimum wage, or are on fixed incomes, live anywhere near this area.  She specifically referred to "Mexicans," as we live in a heavily, Latino populated area.  It's very different from where we all grew up.  Actually, the multi-cultural-ness is one of the reasons I love this place.

Just to give ya'll a point of reference, after I moved -and had been away- from my hometown for a number of months, I took a trip back to the ole' homestead.  Of course I forgot to pack something so I went to our local mall.  After about 20 minutes or so I realized I still squinting my eyes.  Geez, it was so bright!  But, I was inside the mall..?  I stopped, and took a good look around.  Looking up, the normal, pewter grey sky peeking through the few, ancient skylights.  Hmmm, what else...cloudy sky, white walls, white floors, white signs, white tiled fountain, white people...

*gasp!*  Everything my eyes fell upon was white!  No groups of ladies in their colorful saris.  No oversized, sparkling jewelry on anybody.  No turbans.  No flowing, batik robes.  None of it!  I was surrounded by linen and tasteful jewelry.

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!  Get me OUTTA HERE!!!  *pant pant pant*

I grew up in what I believed was a culturally diverse town.  Yeah it was, but in a European sense only.  We had the Polish, the Italians, the Greeks, the Slovenians, the Germans/Dutch, the Irish/Scotch Irish/Welsh, and all the combinations you could imagine, but within those few groups.  My brother and I were the darkest kids in our school for a long time, the result of some Cherokee our father donated to the mix.  Most people just thought we were "mixed," or "dark Italians."


Wow, that was a long "tangent."

So Mom's movin' out.  I think I'm gonna get someone out here to bid on a "mother-in-law suite."  That might work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether differing or sympathetic, I look forward to your comments on any issues I may post (or an introduced topic), but I really don't want to have to babysit this board. I would appreciate simple courtesy. Thank you!