Thursday, July 8, 2010

AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!

So I'm a podcast junkie, right? Anything documentary-ish is my thing, really. Well, one of my favorite podcasts is The Moth, a theme-based, true life, story-telling-without-notes show in NYC. All of the stories I've heard have been incredibly engaging, whether funny or heartbreaking. Usually they're a bit of both, as life often is.

The other day I listened to the story of Barry Gibb, a mail carrier in New York, who enjoyed his job, hung out with his buddies...just a regular guy. His life changed drastically 20 years ago when he found himself framed for murder.

It turns out, the arresting cop Louis J. Eppolito, was dirty.
He leaked information to, & killed for, the mob. Guess he needed a stand-in for one of his slayings, and Mr. Gibb was a goner. He was found guilty, and sentenced to 20 years-to-life. In Attica.

While Mr. Gibb learned how to live in prison, Eppolito played a part in the movie Goodfellas, was interviewed by Sally Jesse Raphael, and whooped it up in Vegas. Until his crimes caught up with him, that is.

So Eppolito gets Life plus 100 years, Mr. Gibb is released, and is awarded the highest monetary settlement ever to hit New York. Justice is served, right?

Nope. Not by a long shot, in my opinion. This is what prompted me to vent.

In the article on Eppolito (link above) it mentions that he was granted his request to be moved out of New York to Arizona "to be closer to family." Hold on...there's more. It also reads that, in Arizona, he'll have more pirques such as access to television, better food, outdoor activities, and access to family.

EXCUSE ME ?!!? Uh uh...someone's gotta be pullin' my chain! It's just not right, dammit!!! *pant pant pant* Please let karma be real...PLEASE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether differing or sympathetic, I look forward to your comments on any issues I may post (or an introduced topic), but I really don't want to have to babysit this board. I would appreciate simple courtesy. Thank you!