Monday, August 2, 2010

Ahhh, there's nothing like a successful party.

My little family hosted a party for a friend of ours.  She's celebrating her one year anniversary for starting her own business.  She also wanted to do something to thank all of her clients who have stuck by her during such a tremendous transition. 

The last reason was purely selfish on my part. 
I've been wanting to see her socially, as well as hang out with more clients than can fit inside her waiting room.  She runs a salon, and everyone we've met while waiting our turns has been really cool people.  I thought it would be great to get them all in one spot.  I was right!

I'm an observer.  I enjoy watching people; especially in settings that I find uncomfortable such as a party.  People make me twitchy.  I feel clumsy, and if I ever lose the ability to filter my inner monologue...well, I guess I'll just have to get over my stage fright and become a comedianne.

Unbeknownst to me, my friend, too, is uncomfortable around larger groups of people.  She does not go to many parties, and has never hosted one herself.  The people I usually party with nowadays are more like family so it's really laid back.  I mean "show up in your jammies if you want to" and "I'll get you your first drink, then you're on your own" kinda deal.  I want them to feel special, yes, but it's a totally different feel.  My friend said the nicest thing before she left which made all the work worth it.  She said she kept waiting to feel nervous, but it never happened.  She felt comfortable from the start.  That's one of the best compliments she could have laid on us.

The group of friends I'm talking about started out pretty large, but has whittled down to only a few over the years.  People have moved, and have grown apart.  But, I feel incredibly fortunate to be left with the few we have.  They were the cream of the crop anyway.  I wish those who have gone on the best, though.  I wouldn't mind seeing them again, but I wouldn't call them "family" as I do the few.  The people we've met through them are just as amazing and have become just as special, too.

I wish this for my other friend; the one for whom we threw the party.  People can freakin' suck...I know this.  But some of them are real gems, and are worth the risk.

Case in point, my very good friend, who donated her time and energy to teach us a few tips in remodeling.  Bless her, she made it possible for me to not have to apologize for the state of our main bathroom.  She came to the party, too, which ROCKED!  I love her.  She's awesome, and was totally worth the risk.

Party on, People.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whether differing or sympathetic, I look forward to your comments on any issues I may post (or an introduced topic), but I really don't want to have to babysit this board. I would appreciate simple courtesy. Thank you!